How Brian Smith Founded UGG, Lost It, Got It Back and The Magic Ride He Had Along the Way
Today’s episode is with an Australian entrepreneur, founder of mega brand UGG, author, and master storyteller, Brian Smith.
Brian Smith is the founder of billion-dollar power brand UGG, which he ended up selling to Decker’s Outdoor Corporation. He also founded PreFast, a company that provided pre-cast concrete walls to build California schools. He is the author of the book, The Birth of a Brand where he discusses the growth phases of business and he coined the phrase, “You can’t give birth to adults.”
He now mentors entrepreneurs from his home in sunny Southern California and surfs every chance he gets. Stay tuned during the interview to hear about the story of how he lost his company, UGG, and the inspiring attitude he took in the face of a desperate situation. You will hear about how he niched the product right away and the hard lesson he learned from two surfers in a surf shop one day and his three keys to winning at the game of business today.
I loved talking to Brian because he is a master storyteller and an exceptionally…
Listen to the Podcast
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- Why the album, Dark Side of the Moon, by Pink Floyd was the motivation behind his move from Australia to California
- What happened the moment he realized were no sheepskin boots in America
- How building his first business at the expense of his health became one of his darkest moments
- Why targeting the surfing market was the key to getting Americans to understand and want to buy sheepskin boots
- Why he lost control of the business and how he got it back years later, through a fluke
- The four statements that he keeps in the front of his daily planner
Check out our private community on Facebook where you will have access to myself and can make requests for show guests. Just go to ToddHerman.me/group to find out more.
I created a guide to help you reap the benefits of a great mentor, “The Definitive Guide to Mentoring”. I’ve had some incredible mentors in my life and those mentors easily accelerated my path to achieving new successes by steering me around roadblocks that would have slowed me down. And, if you’re in a position to be a mentor to others, you’ll get incredible value from the structure of how to make it a win-win for both sides.
Click here to get it now!
Links mentioned in this episode: